Wednesday 19 March 2014

Breakfast Cookies (Vegan)

A couple months ago I started a new job, although still with the same employer, it is a different role for a year.  It was one of those opportunities that land on your lap and you'd be crazy to turn it down.  The role I was in already was a satisfying one, so leaving it was a tough choice.  Colleagues I loved, work that challenged me, coupled the ability to go home everyday, leaving work behind me.  Leaving that comfort behind was scary at first, but I've quickly settled into my new role.

Upon my arrival to the new unit, I was introduced to several new colleagues.  My new supervisor would introduce me like this: "she is an amazing cook!  I hear she brings treats into work".  While this is true, it was kinda strange to have this idea firmly planted in co-workers' heads as a first impression. Given such an invitation it wasn't long before I started sharing food.  I dropped off a Chili Chocolate Cookie to my boss one afternoon.  She graciously accepted and then said, "is there butter in them?  I'm vegan."  What? Who takes a cookie and then asks if they are vegan?  When are cookies ever vegan?  Eggs? Butter? These are mainstays!  But alas, that Chili Choc Cookie was vegan (what are the chances) and she loved it.
Breakfast cookies have been on my 'to-make' list for some time, so when I came across a vegan version, I knew I needed to give it a whirl for my new coworkers.  Shared at a recent staff meeting they were a hit with everyone there, including those who claimed to dislike healthy foods.  Wholesome and tasty, you can easily share these with any group of people (vegan or not).  Feel free to play around with the nuts and seeds to suit your tastes and pantry.  A "flax egg" could be used instead of chia as well..  

Breakfast Cookies (Vegan)


1/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp almond butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. ground chia seed
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup bran
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup dried cherries

Heat your oven to 350F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.  
Mix together the applesauce, almond butter, brown sugar, chia seed and vanilla and allow to sit for about 10 min, until chia is softened. In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and add to the wet until thoroughly combined. Spoon about 2 Tbsp per cookie onto baking sheet.  They don't spread much, so a light tap on the top with the back of the spoon will help.  Bake at 350F for 12-13 minutes. Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment